Chinese ABC Soup (Potato, Carrot & Ribs)
Back home, we know this soup as ABC soup. Reason why it’s being called ABC, is because it contains vitamin A, B and C. The key ingredients are potatoes, carrots and lean meat/pork ribs. Some may have also added corns, tomatoes, onions and whole garlic for added taste. Soup is generally clear and doesn’t take very long to cook.
Let’s take a look at the ingredients, easily available at at Hua Ho Departmental Store and most of the supermarkets in Brunei.
300 grams lean pork/pork-ribs
3x medium-size carrot
4x large potato
1x whole garlic (optional)
3x red dates (optional)
2x tablespoon peanuts (optional – added this only because my husband loves peanuts)
1. Remove the fat from the pork ribs. Rinse and set aside.
2. Husk the sweet corn and cut into half or quarters.
3. Peel and cut carrots into chunks.
4. Cut tomatoes into half.
1. Fill and boil at least half a pot of water (at your own discretion depending on how much ingredients you have and the size of your pot). Once boiling, add in lean meat/pork ribs, corn, whole garlic and red dates. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Simmer over low heat for 30 minutes.
2. After 30 mins, add in potatoes, carrots and tomatoes. Sprinkle a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Simmer over low heat for another 45 minutes.
3. Ready to be served.